DATE: May 23, 2023
For Immediate Release
CONTACT: Haley Foster
(763) 271-3202 | Haley.Foster@ci.monticello.mn.us
City of Monticello Moving Forward with Downtown Improvements
In 2017 the City of Monticello adopted the Downtown Small Area Plan, declaring our dedication to the downtown, its growth and its improvement.
Downtown is the birthplace and the heart of the city. The area includes premiere parks, restaurants, shops, and the character of historical Monticello. It's home to many of the area's favorite community celebrations and a colorful community art scene.
On Monday, August 7, 2023 City Council held a special meeting to accept bids for the construction of our Downtown Roadway and Pedestrian Improvements Project. The bid was awarded to Meyer Contracting Inc. The planned improvements of this project were approved at the City Council meeting on Monday, June 26, 2023. For a comprehensive list of improvements, you can view our agenda item from the meeting on our website.
This project will include improvements to Walnut Street between Broadway and River Street; River Street between Walnut Street and Pine Street and Broadway, between Pine Street and Walnut Street. The project will include connecting Walnut Street to River Street, roadway sidewalk and utility improvements, as well as improved signage, lighting, and landscaping. The improvements will make a more pleasant and safe environment for everyone who uses the area.
With a substantial private redevelopment project occurring on one of the most prominent downtown blocks, the City initiated complementary public improvements on adjacent roadways as envisioned in the Monticello 2040 Vision + Plan, the corresponding Downtown Small Area Plan, and the Walnut Street Corridor Plan. In addition, in 2022 the project scope expanded to include Wright County’s planned Pavement Preservation Project on Broadway to ensure a unified approach to the area.
Our goals for the project include continuing our efforts to improving the Downtown for visitors, businesses, and residents by:
- Improving pedestrian safety and facilities
- Completing downtown roadway connections
- Creating public spaces and landscaping improvements near the riverfront
- Updating current utilities to bring them up to date
- Improved ADA access to West Bridge Park
The project was awarded to Meyer Contracting, Inc. for construction. Meyer Contracting is actively working on a detailed project schedule. Additional details will be shared when available. The following is an outline of major activities based on the preliminary schedule:
- Construction Begins – Week of August 14, 2023
- Reclaiming of Pavement on Broadway St. west of Locust St. (Work completed with lane shifts under traffic) – August 21, 2023
- Road Closure and Detour for Broadway St. between TH 25 and Locust St. Begins – Week of August 21 or August 28, 2023 – Anticipated Duration of Detour is 8 Weeks
- Road Closure for River Street and Walnut Street Begins – August 21, 2023
- Substantial Completion of Street and Utility Work – October 31, 2023
- Landscaping, Streetscaping, Final Layer of Street Paving, and Permanent Striping to Occur in Summer 2024
The City of Monticello will be posting updates for the project on our website and in our Downtown e-newsletter. You can also sign up for email and text message notifications for upcoming detours, road closures and more via our City Alerts program.