- Community & Economic Development
- Downtown Monticello
- Block 52 Redevelopment
Block 52 Redevelopment
Project Update: October 2022
Demolition for the new Block 52 project is complete! The mixed-use Block 52 Building will be located at the northwest corner of Pine and Broadway Streets. The project required removal of some of the existing buildings on the block to make room for the five-story building that will feature shopping, a restaurant/patio, and 87 residential apartments. Over the next few months, the Block 52 Building’s underground parking and building footings will be put into place, with construction on the building continuing over the winter. Working with the developer, we’ve also saved some important pieces of history for incorporation into downtown projects. These include portions of the trees on the site, the bridge railing, and the lighting fixtures.
While construction on this private development project continues, the City is finalizing its plans to reconstruct Walnut and River Streets adjacent to the block. Envision a new connection between Walnut and River Streets, reconfigured parking areas, more lighting, and more sidewalk connections – including a better connection into West Bridge Park! These improvements are planned to occur in 2023.
Both projects are in support of the Downtown Small Area Plan, the community’s guide for investing in a vibrant downtown.
Project Update: August 2022
You may hear the private project happening at the northwest corner of the intersection of TH25 and Broadway referred to as “Block 52 First Addition.” Block 52 First Addition is the name of a new mixed-use project at that corner that will start construction this fall. The commercial and residential project is being developed by Buchholz Development (also known as Block 52 Holdings LLC). The project will feature 87 new residential units and over 30,000 square feet of commercial space, including a new restaurant and patio.
Right now, the developer is moving through the demolition permit and building permit review processes. Construction fencing and equipment is anticipated to be placed on the property soon. Please note that construction on the block will impact the availability of the public parking lot on Walnut Street through the duration of construction, as well as the surrounding sidewalks.
Related Blog Posts
Associated Council Agenda Reports
- City Council Agenda: July 11, 2022
- Meeting Minutes
- Watch the July 11 City Council Meeting
- Agenda Item: 4A. Consideration of approving a Final Stage Planned Unit Development, Final Plat and Development Agreement, and Rezoning to Planned Unit Development for Block 52 First Addition, a Proposed Mixed-Use Development (87 Residential Apartment Units and Approximately 30,000 Sq Ft of Commercial Office and Retail Use) in the Broadway and Riverfront Sub-Districts in the Central Community District (CCD).
- City Council Agenda: May 23, 2022
- Meeting Minutes
- Watch the May 23 City Council Meeting
- Agenda Item: 4B. Consideration to approve a Development Stage Planned Unit Development and Preliminary Plat for Block 52 First Addition, a Proposed Mixed-Use Development (87 Residential Apartment Units and Approximately 30,000 Sq Ft of Commercial Office and Retail Use) in the Broadway and Riverfront Sub-Districts in the Central Community District (CCD).