The City of Monticello is continuing its effort to improve Downtown for visitors, businesses, and residents by rebuilding the downtown streets and sidewalks. This project will include improvements to Walnut Street between Broadway and River Street; River Street between Walnut Street and Pine Street and Broadway, between Pine Street and Walnut Street. The project will include connecting Walnut Street to River Street, roadway sidewalk and utility improvements, as well as improved signage, lighting, and landscaping. The improvements will make a more pleasant and safe environment for everyone who uses the area.
The Walnut Street Corridor Plan will act as a guidance to the Downtown Roadway & Pedestrian Improvements project. View the Walnut Street Corridor Plan here.
- Improve pedestrian safety and facilities
- Completing downtown roadway connections
- Creating public spaces and landscaping improvements near the riverfront
- Update current utilities to bring them up to date
- A curbside Q&A session was held for business owners and affected properties on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at West Bridge Park.
- Project and City staff set up an informational booth at Music on the Mississippi, on August 17, 2022 at West Bridge Park so residents could stop by, learn more about the project, and ask their questions.
- City staff hosted "Coffee on the Corner" on August 29, 2022 and September 20, 2022 so property and business owners could meet to ask questions and get more information about the project.
- Construction – Summer 2023