Downtown Roadway & Pedestrian Improvements
The City of Monticello is continuing its effort to improve Downtown for visitors, businesses, and residents by rebuilding the downtown streets and sidewalks. This project will include improvements to Walnut Street between Broadway and River Street; River Street between Walnut Street and Pine Street and Broadway, between Pine Street and Walnut Street. The project will include connecting Walnut Street to River Street, roadway sidewalk and utility improvements, as well as improved signage, lighting, and landscaping. The improvements will make a more pleasant and safe environment for everyone who uses the area.
The Walnut Street Corridor Plan will act as a guidance to the Downtown Roadway & Pedestrian Improvements project. View the Walnut Street Corridor Plan here.
- Improve pedestrian safety and facilities
- Completing downtown roadway connections
- Creating public spaces and landscaping improvements near the riverfront
- Update current utilities to bring them up to date
The project was awarded to Meyer Contracting, Inc. for construction. Meyer Contracting is actively working on a detailed project schedule. Additional details will be shared when available. The following is an outline of major activities based on the preliminary schedule:
- Construction Begins – Week of August 14, 2023
- Reclaiming of Pavement on Broadway St. west of Locust St. (Work completed with lane shifts under traffic) – August 21, 2023
- Road Closure and Detour for Broadway St. between TH 25 and Locust St. Begins – Week of August 21 or August 28, 2023 – Anticipated Duration of Detour is 8 Weeks
- Road Closure for River Street and Walnut Street Begins – August 21, 2023
- Substantial Completion of Street and Utility Work – November 2023
- Landscaping, Streetscaping, Final Layer of Street Paving, and Permanent Striping to Occur in Summer 2024
- A curbside Q&A session was held for business owners and affected properties on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at West Bridge Park.
- Project and City staff set up an informational booth at Music on the Mississippi, on August 17, 2022 at West Bridge Park so residents could stop by, learn more about the project, and ask their questions.
- City staff hosted "Downtown Rounds" on August 17, 2022 and September 13, 2022 so property and business owners could meet to ask questions and get more information about the project.
- City staff hosted "Coffee on the Corner" on August 29, 2022 and September 20, 2022 so property and business owners could meet to ask questions and get more information about the project.
- City staff held a Project Open House on Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at the Monticello Community Center from 4-7 p.m.
- There was a presentation to discuss the project overview, project schedule, and anticipated construction impact.
- Residents were invited to stop in any time between 4-7 p.m. to discuss specific project items and ask questions one-on-one with project representatives.
- A Public Hearing was held on Monday, May 22, 2023 for the project for residents to voice any comments or concerns to City Council.
- 2023 Downtown Project Open House Flyer
- Downtown Roadway Improvements One-Pager
- Downtown Round Invitation - August 17, 2022
- Downtown Round Invitation - September 13, 2022
- Downtown Construction Parking & Sidewalk Information
- City Council Presentation - Approval of Plans to Authorize Bidding - June 26, 2023
- Downtown Construction Access Map - August 24, 2023